Weekends bring comfort don't they? Knowing that for two days you are off the clock and the world is yours. Sleep in. Stay in your pj's if you please. Ain't nobody got time for make-up on the weekend.
I bring up the comfort thing because my daughter woke me up this morning screaming for her "ba ba" as she calls it. That would be her bottle of milk if you don't speak baby. She can't sleep without it. Like seriously. After I left the comfort of my bed to warm her up a fresh bottle and presented it to her, she fell asleep almost instantly. So stupid me decided to take it out of her tiny hands so she could sleep peacefully without milk dripping all over the both of us. Oops. Those eyes flew open and the screams began again. Enter "ba ba". It's her comfort. Her little baby happy place. It's what she knows.
Then the wheels started churning when I should have been sleeping. What was my ba ba? What gives me comfort in times when I'm insecure, scared, or just need a little reassurance?
Well, I reckon I'll tell ya.
- God. There is nothing more reassuring than the words of the Lord. I can always trust Him to listen, advise, and comfort me no matter what the situation. I'm pretty anxious just by nature. I worry a lot. Countless times I've referred back to this verse when I am in need of some serious comfort. Hopefully you will find some solace in it too. Matthew 6:25-27 says, "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"
- Sugar. Don't judge me. I am definitely an emotional eater. But don't even try to act like a cupcake is not the perfect cure for a rough day. A cup of coffee in the evening is like a warm friend. A slice of apple pie and some vanilla ice cream is the perfect southern comfort food.
- Familiar television shows. There are three shows that no matter how many times I've seen the episodes, I'll watch them time and time again and never cease to love them. Friends, The Gilmore Girls, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. BEST SHOWS EVER. All tv should hope to be so awesome. 90's shows were the bomb.com and that's all there is to it.
- Knowing when I lay my head down at night, I won't be alone. I didn't even know this was something that comforted me until my husband left for New Mexico without me. I had to stay behind and pack up our apartment and every night when it started to get dark, the panic set in. I had to sleep on the couch. I didn't realize how safe I felt just having someone else there with me. Of course, I had my baby but I was there to protect her. Who would protect me? A can of mace and a mama bear instinct apparently.
- A glass of wine. Again, don't judge me. I actually don't care much for wine but on occasion having a glass of wine and a bubble bath is like the ultimate form of relaxation and comfort. I love the feeling of just unwinding and feeling luxurious. Wine makes me feel like I'm some glitzy girl with diamonds in her jewelry box and Chanel in her closet.
- A fire. Like in the fireplace. I'm not a pyro. But a fire on a cold night with a cup of hot cider brings a comfort and warmness that is hard to define.
- Mamma Mia. It is like my go to movie when I need a pick me up. I don't know why. I'm not a real big fan of musicals by any means. But that movie will transport you on a daydream to the Greek Isles and who can argue with that?
- A hug. The simplest and easiest form of comfort there is. A simple embrace that says you're not alone.
- Yoga pants. Yup, that's right. Black, stretchy yoga pants. The ultimate comfort for a girl with curves.
- A hot shower. Never underestimate the power of hot water. It does a body good for more than just the obvious reasons.
Alright, alright.. I know it's not my most earth shattering entry, but I think it's important to reflect on the things that keep us warm and comforted because there are so many people who don't have the everyday comforts that a lot of us do. Every now and then I think it's good to acknowledge the simple pleasures of life; to take a little time from our stressful lives and grab a cup of liquid comfort or to pretend your a duchess for the evening.
Because somewhere out there, there is someone who wishes they had what you do. You may not be a millionaire. You may not have a fancy car. But I'll bet my last dollar you have at least one thing that brings you a little comfort. In the month that we have been away from the comforts of home, I have really started to appreciate the things in life that bring a little bit of sunshine to my day.
So this weekend when you're relaxing, having date night, or whatever other shenanigans you get yourself into...take a moment to think about your "ba ba's" and then maybe indulge in one or two. After all, it is the weekend! Have a great one everybody!!